Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Strike Is Over

I've reached an agreement with my sponsors (Snuggie/Shamwow), so you'll be happy to know the strike is over. It's back to blogging and you couldn't be more excited. But before things get rolling with new stuff, here's my web highlight from today (from theonion, of course):
__

This Short Story About A School Shooting Is Actually Pretty Good

Being a 10th-grade English teacher can be frustrating. I work hard to help my students improve their writing, but when it comes time to sit down and grade their assignments, I'm often left wondering why I bother. Once in a while, though, a student hands in something that is an absolute delight to read.

A student like Brian Petersen, who wrote an incredible short story about a deadly school shooting and how nobody picked up on all the warning signs until it was too late.

It's just fantastic!

Sure, I might expect something this good from one of my more advanced students, but Brian? He's so quiet and withdrawn. To be honest, I was surprised to see him show up for school at all, let alone write such a good story. I guess that'll teach me to underestimate a pupil just because he seems very secretive and completely alienated from the rest of his peers.

Still, what a superb piece of fiction!
_____


Click here for the entire piece.

No comments: